Friday, July 19, 2013

Public History Website Update, 3rd from the Final Post

     To follow in the footsteps of my uber-capable and timely compatriot Kristen, I place a Wednesday- possibly Thursday?- of next week deadline on my website's data entry and polishing.  I have completed the division of materials and mapped out the website visually- on paper and on my dining-room floor!  Data entry will officially begin Sunday.  Due to some personal changes, I will not be using VistaPrint to host my website as previously noted.  Even still, the VistaPrint site is phenomenal and I highly recommend their services.  Again, following in the footsteps of a wise colleague (Hannah), I will be changing to the services of Weebly.  As this project-inspired website is temporary, we- Mandy and I- questioned the use of personal finances for something of this nature.  However, I firmly believe in paid services offered by website hosts/platforms and the benefits they can bring, with search engine listings being the primary perk.  All in all, I certainly am more than ready to finish this project and move on.
     Sorting through the possible website material has been a refreshing experience- literally!  I had forgotten a lot of botanical information.  Especially information concerning our native plants here in the United States.  I visited the Muscle Shoals-area TVA reserve and noted far more plants today than two months ago.  Wild potato vines, coral bells, native hibiscus/mallow (where we used to get marshmallows!), seven-barks/native hydrangeas, cinnamon ferns, passion flowers (with fruit), etc., all making my day of hiking and jogging that much sweeter!  I certainly appreciate TVA allowing visitors to use their property for recreational activities.
     Tomorrow I will be filming a video to add to my website.  I have yet to explore Weebly in-depth and hope I can add a video.  If not, I may have to post it on YouTube and provide a link!  Only time will tell.  I wish everyone a great weekend.       

1 comment:

  1. Great progress - Weebly is very easy to use and offers a lot of resources. I think the best option would be to use a link to youtube as the video feature on Weebly is part of the upgraded site.

    ReplyDelete