Friday, July 26, 2013

Public History Website Project Update: THE END

     Well ladies and gentlemen, my "Public History" website project is a fete accompli.  Just when I thought switching platforms to Weebly would offer a more logical home to an adjusted website hard-copy, I discover that the funny-named hosting site is not all it seems.  First, there was the before-mentioned problem with uploading photographs.  Due to the definition of the personal photographs I used for the site, I was told that the files were too large.  What to do to solve the problem?  Pay to upgrade, of course!  And may I just exclaim, "Seven dollars my ascot!"  In sum, I paid to upgrade my website for six months, which is the temporally shortest option.  Then, I faced an extremely long upload time for each photograph.  In all actuality, the creation of my website took twice as long as it should have.  Additional problems with Weebly came from auto-correct, item orientation rigidity, very limited text options, and a general inflexibility in creation options.  However, please don't be ignorant to the fact that user-error was probably a HUGE factor!  Despite the above, I would recommend Weebly for recreational (even semi-professional) website creation.
     The final title for my website is "An Overview of the Historical Landscaping of Colonial Williamsburg". Our instructor advised us to keep the website simple, as this project is a demonstration of personal possibility.  So, as I also mentioned previously, I tweaked the website outline and focused solely on Colonial Williamsburg.  I have seven tabs and each tab is ordered according to the story arc.  However, each tab can be viewed as a "stand alone" as well.  All of the photography was done by your's truly.  I corresponded each photograph with the subject matter of the page (tab).  Each page also has a sub-title that summarizes the text content in a slightly covert manner.  One of the pages addresses historically appropriate botanicals for a colonial garden.  Each plant listed is in alphabetical order and has a scientific name along with its common name, all grouped according to seasonal considerations and type.  One of my favorite tabs is the "Links and Nods" page.  There are several interesting links to other related websites on this page.  Most notably and one of my all-time favorites is www.botany.com, a superb resource for plant identification.  Upon multiple instances of viewing and reflection, I am genuinely proud of my website.  I feel that it is informative enough without getting bogged down... something we were warned about.  I see it as being fresh, concise, and complete in its described mission.  Sure, there are other facets that I can see adding to supplement the experience, but feel that my website is a cyclical microcosm.  Perfect?  Of course not.  Effective?  Certainly. Let's see if you agree.  Drum-roll please!  The link is...


     As I log this final blog entry for my summer "Digital History" course, I reflect back over the past two months.  Though I misunderstood assignment purpose (mission) and ended up not completing early assignments correctly due to confusion, I am leaving this course on a positive note.  I sincerely wish the University of North Alabama's "Public History" program and its students and instructor(s) all of the very best in the future.  NEXT POST?  Back in business baby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment