Monday, July 1, 2013

"Much Ado About Nothing" or "Nothing About Much Ado"?

     Before I address our blog assignments for the next month, please strike up the drum corps for...

DID YOU KNOW?

     Incan society was highly regimented.  Men and women had to marry someone from their own social group.  Women either worked in the home or were priestesses.  In rural areas, the people farmed on terraces watered by irrigation systems.
     The Inca were also great builders.  The building in the capital of Cuzco dazzled European visitors.  The ruins of the abandoned city Machu Picchu show architectural genius.  It was built on mountain peaks far above the Urubamba River.  In one part, a long stairway leads to an elegant stone known to the Inca as the "hitching post of the sun."  It may have been used as a solar observatory.  During sun festivals, the people gathered there to chant to the sun god.

 
"The Hitching Post of the Sun", Machu Picchu, Peru
 
 
      As the "Digital History" course that gave rise to this blog enters into its second month, we- the students of said course- are to detail the trials, tribulations, jubilations, and triumphs of the building of our Public History websites via our blogs.  As we piece together the websites based on our chosen Public History topics, various aspects of the process will undoubtedly stand out.  However, being a gentleman that takes much in stride, I'm not entirely sure that much lamenting will make it to these digital diary pages.  My disposition aside, the process of gathering material, even for my "Historical Landscaping" topic, has been a rather easy task (except getting in obscure book orders!).  As with collecting antiquities, you just have to know where to go!  The next task before me was to choose a platform on which to build this website.  Done: www.vistaprint.com.  I am also a huge fan of their business cards!  Anyway, I have outlined the information to be put onto my website for "Dr. Oracle" (Dr. Barske's Steampunk moniker!).  The outline is extremely detailed and focuses on Colonial landscaping and the use of perennials.  Hey, hey!  Calm it down folks!  It's soon to be up!  Keep your bloomers on!  Ugh.  People are always so feverish for some excitement in their lives.
     I reflect back to some interesting readings for the Discussion Exercises that reminded us of audience, copyright, and content issues.  Though these readings were extremely relative, they offered little in the way of ideas and fell just at the boundaries of general and philosophical.  Making my way through the School of Education, I've had enough flip-flop philosophy!  Pour me some concrete!  So, I turn to a newly purchased book that is one in a line especially written for me: Web Design for Dummies (2013), by Sue Jenkins.  Books for "Dummies" are awesome!  And we all know why I like them... !  Though this Public History project is relatively small scale and ripe with needless neuroses, potential to cure insomniacs, and disappearing bread-crumbs, I am looking forward to testing several personal hypotheses and challenging my marketing skills.  Not only that and all levity aside, I sincerely want to produce a website that is completely accurate, enticingly interesting, and curriculum-inclusive.  Only time will tell, however, if I am talented enough to pull it off!?
    
    
     NEXT: Postcards from the Edge and Viewer Mail!


1 comment:

  1. Dr. Oracle here...use these blog posts however you would like. Talk about your progress if you aren't having problems!

    ReplyDelete