Tuesday, June 18, 2013

President Obama really needs to declare today...

"Sugar Muffin Day"

     Yes, yes, I hear all of you- "Why?"  Because today is the day that I said "I most certainly do!" to my beautiful, intelligent, and humorous wife, Mandy White, of Gordo, Alabama (Go "Green Waves"!).  The ceremony was held at the Berry Methodist Church, as I have always been an admirer of its Gothic style, beginning at 6:30 p.m.  So, the official "Hour of the Sugar Muffin" is 7:00 p.m.  It was at that moment, when God bonded us together in His sight and that of our friends and family, that my loneliness, insecurity, and directionless stupor evaporated in the warm glow of her angelic- kind, loving, and flawless- face.  Thank you for the past three years Mandy... I love you more than you can ever know.
     Please join me for a walk down memory lane...  The floral work is by my mother- Mary Lollar, photography by Leslie Adair of Decatur, AL, music was provided by the Lamb Family String Quartet of Tuscaloosa, AL, and the catering was provided by Savory Solutions of Aliceville, AL.  The entire experience was designed by me, Mandy, and my mother as the flower-guru.  It was a European-style ceremony, with the focus completely on the Bride and Groom, with no Bride's Maids or Groom's Men.  The only children at the wedding, per our request, were our two nieces as the Bride's Attendants.  After all, who in the crap wants to hear kids crying and babbling during an auspicious ceremony or have them make an embarrassing spectacle of the ceremony's sanctity by allowing a Flower Girl and/or Ring Bearer without the comprehension abilities to do what they're asked!?  True 'dat, and moving along...









Mandy and I look a bit contorted in this picture.  I really hadn't noticed that before!  AHHH!  She's a bit on the short side (adding to her adorableness), but not quite as vertically-challenged as it seems in this picture.  And, though it appears so, I don't sport a wooden leg!  Jeez.



My two nieces- daughters to Mandy's brother (Rocky) and his wife (Denise)- Alex (on the left) and Alyssa (on the right).  Though these young ladies have grown so much in the past three years.  However, one thing that has not changed is that they are a tribute to parenting!  These two beautiful young ladies are- and always have been- respectful, considerate, generous, genteel, and highly intelligent.  Hey Rocky and Denise, you two need to offer parenting classes to these folks who won't get their kids to stop butting-in adult conversations; running around screaming unlike any animal known to humanity; messing with stuff that doesn't belong to them without asking; squealing and screaming in a restaurant, Church, etc.; giving back disrespectful answers to questions; being selfish; being irresponsible past expected points; not doing what they are asked; thinking they are the center of the entire universe!  If you ever decide to take me up on the class recommendation, might I suggest this title- "The Whites: Parenting through an Actual Education and Out of True Love".  Epic.


















The guests of our wedding got to enjoy a Candy Buffet as take-aways.










The Groom's Cake.




The Bride's Cake.
The champagne flutes you see at bottom, center were designed especially for us and shipped by Island Glass Blowing Studio of Grand Cayman (our second home).  Beautiful! 




Shrimp Shooters!




Our ice-sculpture.  Cool.







Accompaniment to my Groom's Cake.







Our favorite engagement photograph.







Me running with my wooden leg as my father tries to burn me with a humongous sparkler!  The things we Southerners do for fun!












Several of these photographs were featured in Alabama Weddings Magazine, who also provided a write-up of the festivities.  
     Thank you very much for keeping me company as I revisited the happiest day of my life.  Any questions or comments?  You know what to do...

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
- Charles Bukowski
       

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your generous and kind compliments. We try very hard ro raise our children in a Godly manner. Though it is not always easy, parenting is very rewarding and we are blessed beyond measure. We are thankful to have Mandy and you in our lives. The girls enjoy spending time with you two. They really love the fun and excitement that Mimi and Uncle Jordan provide.
    Your blog is very interesting! Keep up the good work!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete