Saturday, June 15, 2013

BANG! And We're Off... Slowly.

" 'Tis a kind of good deed to say well:
   And yet words are no deeds."
                                                   - Henry VIII, to Cardinal Wolsey, King Henry VIII, III, ii


As mentioned in a course group-discussion post, I sometimes find myself reciting the words of the White Rabbit as he is scurrying down the hole.  The fact is: I am taking part in a summer course and I have homework due.  I gritted my teeth while on a technology-free "weekender" with my wife: "I'm late."  I whisper it to myself, even now, as I work: "I'm late."  I actually have a highly-developed work-ethic, bordering on obsessive-compulsive at times.  It seems that my varied interests take turns switching "on" and "off" in my head.  Whether this is caused from temporary boredom with the soup du jour or a subconscious challenge to find a connection between all personal interests and eventually link them in one climatic life-altering epiphany, I'm just not sure.  I do know that I had the same concerns when going through the public school system.  As with many students today, I simply got bored.  After being a public school teacher for 12 years, we can address the profound need of an educational over-haul later.  When we do, please leave the subject of ineffective teachers to me!  Until then, please allow me to update my followers on the many irons glowing red-hot in my professional fire:

1) I'm in Graduate School at the University of North Alabama and a candidate for a Masters in History: Public History.  For those of you who may not be as familiar with the area of Public History, it is a linking of education and history.  Public History serves to research, preserve, and present history for/to the general public.

2) The Town of Berry Resource Center (Library & Museum).  My small hometown of Berry, Fayette County, Alabama and I have partnered to finally realize the dream of having a library, computer center, and museum for the town.  Though this project counts for graduate credit, it is far more a labor of love for my hometown and its citizens.  The "Friends of the Berry Library" committee raised over $1,500 at a "Sunday Silent Auction" last weekend.  We have also collected approximately 1,000 books.  Thank you very, very much to all of the generous people who have helped!  The Resource Center will be housed in Berry's former City Hall and Jail:



If you are interested in helping this worthy and exciting education endeavor, the donation of books can be facilitated through the following e-mail: boloponch@centurytel.net.  Monetary donations (all of which go to the Resource Center) may be addressed to "The Friends of the Berry Library" and be mailed to P.O. Box 66, Berry, Alabama, 35546.  All questions are welcome at boloponch@centurytel.net and, my e-mail, at writeit101@gmail.com.  Gosh, it's good to be home again.  We'll certainly return to this subject later!

3) I am taking part in an Archaeological internship at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama.  The Arsenal is host to nearly 1,000 sites that represent the Paleo-Indian Period (9200 to 8000 B.C.) through homesteads and plantations, including many cemeteries.  Though I have experience as an antiquity collector/consultant, I have asked that Mr. Hoksbergen, the Arsenal's Head Archaeologist, give me the full experience- from washing to excavating.

4) Having had a blast teaching a "Romance Novel 101" course for the University of North Alabama this past Spring, I am presently hard at work outlining a mystery novel course to be offered during the weeks leading up to, wait for it... Halloween!  Of course.  On the same note, I have slacked off of my freelance writing for the time being, but continue to peck away at my book.  Well, that is, when the switch is "on".

5) And finally, at least until Autumn, I am participating in a "Master Gardener" course to supplement the Historical Landscaping facet of my degree.  As July waxes, I will be creating a website totally devoted to this often ignored art.  Here is a small example of Historical Landscaping:


The Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia
Photo: Mickey J. Lollar, 2013


So, as you can understand, I am quite busy.  In a quest to gain as much experience as possible during my tenure in graduate school, my perfectionist mindset and work-ethic must evolve.  Otherwise, I'll continue to don the top-hat and pocket-watch and try to get through the hole with my fat... uh-oh, switch is "off"...



NEXT ON THE MENU?  "Digital History" Blog Assignment 1, Father's Day, and "Sunday Silent Auction" Photographs!  Woop-woop!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment