Friday, June 21, 2013

An "Oh Crap!", Shout-Out!, and Website Tout

"Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all.
Close up his eyes, and draw the curtain close;
And let us all to meditation."

- Henry VI, of Cardinal Beaufort,
King Henry VI, Part 2, III, iii


Hop in that time-machine and have no fear!  It's definitely time for another...

DID YOU KNOW?

     The earliest humanlike beings, called australopithecines ("southern apes") by their discoverer, Donald Johnson, lived in Africa 3 to 4 million years ago.
     Australopithecines were the first hominids (creatures that walk upright) to make stone tools.
     Homo erectus marks the next stage of human development.  This species dates from about 1.5 million years ago.  These hominids used larger and more varied tools, and were the first to move into parts of Europe and Asia.  They could migrate into colder areas because they were the first beings to make fires deliberately.


Australopithecines


Homo erectus, or me before I shave.



     I hope that this first day of Northern Hemisphere Summer is treating everyone well.  I spent my day working on a bibliography of possible sources for my upcoming "Historical Landscaping" website.  Though a fairly dry well, I made a bit of headway off of the "World Wide Web" and bookstores.  Tomorrow, I will be looking through some that finally came in to Barnes & Noble.  We'll come back to the website in a bit...
     So I upgraded to a "Way-Smarter-Than-Me" phone.  I waited until the very last minute to release my Motorola "Karma".  I LOVE that little brownie-shaped phone!  But, alas, I had to join the 21st century.  I did this releasing and upgrading on the return trip from my technology-free "weekender".  Fiddling with the new Samsung number, I finally found out how to access the internet.  The wonderlust finally left my eyes days after this momentous occasion.  However, it was all for naught.  Two "Discussion" homework exercises were "posted", so as to not maintain my "LATE" status any longer.  Did I succeed in these posts via my new vibrating, dinging, blinking, and byte-eating phone?  Checked today folks.  That's my latest "Oh Crap!" moment.  My "LATE" label still stands...
     Using "Blogger" is an absolute pleasure.  I checked on my blog "Statistics" tonight and see that I have had several international visitors.  Thank you all very much!  I'm talking the beautiful countries of Russia, Japan, Germany, Venezuela, Brazil, Greece, England, Turkey, and the fjords of Finland.  However, I would like to ask this favor: Please, please, please leave a "Hello!", or equivalent in your native tongue, when you visit.  I'd love to have international comments (thoughts, suggestions, information, etc.) too!  My true love is world history and any further connections to this beautiful planet beyond my shores would be very much appreciated, an honor, and very, very cool.
     Returning to the subject of my Public History website, I have been doing a lot of thinking about ways to market the sites- mine and those of my classmates.  I posted the "Plot Structure" diagram (below) to inspire some creative-juice-flowing.  However, I'm not really sure how often my fellow students visit my site!?  Nonetheless, I post, therefore I am.  Here are a few random thoughts...

1)  The websites must be complete microcosms within themselves.  As with writing, loose ends/roads-to-nowhere are sloppy and leave "consumers" with an uneasy and frustrated feeling.  The human animal ALWAYS wants closure.

2)  Continuity is so very important.  Of course continuity in terms of chronology, but I'm speaking of maintaining a theme throughout the entire site.  Writing style/voice, depth of information, even distribution of pictures, page colors, "tabs" accessing the entire realm of one's topic, and a "story" arc over the entire site, just to name a few.

3)  Other than the information of one's topic, we might should include public areas for comments/discussion/topic-related suggestions, picture-posting, reviews for related products/services/etc., videos (of ourselves presenting, as well as public presentations), and an event calendar for designated areas. I'm sure, as time goes on, more will pop into our heads!

4)  Forming alliances with related businesses and educational programs is a MUST!  I am hoping that Dr. Barske- "The Oracle"- will speak with the history professors of U.N.A. and ask that they direct students to the individual sites when the opportunity arises within their lessons.  For example, those instructors concerned with American Colonial History might be interested in my "Historical Landscaping" website that will deal primarily with the styles of Williamsburg, Virginia.  Maybe even botany instructors?  Being a teacher that firmly believes in "across-the-curriculum" instruction, I also believe in "across-the-curriculum" advertising!  As well, having spoke with several nurseries in the Florence area, I plan on advertising their wares if they advertise my site- for information and inspiration.  No matter the topic of a Public History website, there are those in the world who will gladly "scratch your back" if you lend nails as well.

What are we thinking out there folks?!  Let me know and thank you very much to all my visitors!



Summer 2011 Memory: Train-Ride with Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment